Decree Modification

Minnesota Decree Modifications Lawyer

Just because a divorce decree has been entered does not mean that that’s the end of the case. There are times in which the parties involved may request to modify the decree. Child support, custody, and spousal support are all areas that can be modified. Nonetheless, the person requesting the modification must demonstrate why such a change should be made.

Modifying Custody, Parenting Time, Or Child Support

There may be certain circumstances present that warrant a change to custody, parenting time, or child support. If a modification that affects children is requested, the court will decide whether or not the changes are in the best interest of the child. How the child has integrated into their home will also be looked at.

If the issue is a modification of child support, a number of factors are looked at. They are:

  • Increased or decreased income of one or both parties
  • A change in needs by one or both parties
  • Change in the cost of living for either party
  • Receipt of public assistance
  • Emancipation of the child
  • Increase or decrease in childcare costs
  • A change in the medical expenses for the child

If you experience any of the circumstances above, then you can submit the modification through your Twin Cities divorce lawyer.

Spousal Support Modification

Just like in child-related issues, a motion must be made with the court to modify spousal support. Some of the criteria are also the same, such as significant changes in income, receiving of public assistance, retirement, etc. The person requesting the support to be modified must have proof that the support needs to be modified.

Moving Out Of State

There are some times when a custodial parent must move out of state. This can cause an issue with parenting time. It is for this very reason that a custodial parent cannot take the child out of state away from the other parent unless the non-custodial parent says it is okay. If it is necessary and the non-custodial parent does not give permission, it must be demonstrated why the move is needed. Areas that are looked at include the relationship the child has with the non-custodial parent, why the relocation must occur, the child’s age, the child’s stage of development, and how the move would change the quality of life for the custodial parent and the child.

Contact A Twin Cities Divorce Lawyer

If you need to modify a decree, your attorney can ensure that the modification request is completed correctly and can submit it to the court on your behalf. However, your attorney will first make sure that your reasons for requesting a modification are valid. To find out if you can request a decree modification, call the Liebmann Law Office at 952-882-1227 to schedule your free 30 minute phone consultation.